Song of Surrender

Monday, 28 August 2017

The new RR Sabha

By S. Sivaramakrishnan

The overcast evening of 26 August 2017 was special  as I was attending a programme in the renovated, multistoreyed, state-of-the art Rasika Ranjani Sabha, once the landmark
RR Sabha on Sundareswarar Street, Mylapore, Chennai.

The Rudrapatnam Brothers in concert
The programme was a traditional Carnatic music concert by the  Rudrapatnam Brothers R.N. Tyagarajan and R.N. Taranathan. The enjoyable event at the cosy auditorium on the third floor attracted a decent-sized audience. While the varnam in Darbar  raga seemed to endorse the very good ambience, the kriti in and on Saraswati was invocative of the goddess glorified in  the mascot of the sabha. Etavunara in Kalyani, the main raga too was suggestive of RR Sabha's golden era.

When I clicked a photograph of the artists on the stage, I realised that I had  forgotten to take a picture of the new building earlier in daylight.  It was raining when I stepped out,  but  my humble mobile phone helped me to 'document' the new structure drenched in rain and light.

 The RR Sabha
RR Sabha and the music of the Rudrapatnam Brothers provided a 'sukham-sukhataram' experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment